A company has found themselves having to foot a £8,000 fine after one of its employees was accidently set on fire while in the workplace.
The apprentice mechanic, employed by Swandlicote Diesel Fuel Injection Services, had been asked to ignite some old rubbish in an empty oil drum on the premises. In attempt to ignite the rubbish, they decided to tip waste fuel onto the embers. This action caused an explosion, with the apprentice being set alight in the process. Fortunately he covered his face with his hands, but he still received extensive burns.
Following an investigation at his workplace, the HSE declared the firm did not have adequate safety measures in relation to flammable substances in place. The company have since been advised to store flammable substances in locked storage in the future. After being found guilty of a breach of health and safety measures, the company were fined £8,000. The male who suffered the burns could also find himself eligible for a sizeable personal injury compensation claim should he pursue one in the future.
Image credit: Tbmynors